1983 : Graduated from Shanghai Art School, majored in Cartoon Production. Admitted by Shanghai Art Film Studio, engaged in Cartoon Production.
1985 : Admitted by Direction Department of Beijing Film Academy, majoring Film Direction. Started experimental productions of short films.
1987 : Produced 16mm black-white short film, "Driving without License".
1989 : Graduated from Direction Department of Beijing Film Academy, Bachelor Degree. Directed 16mm color short film, "Earphone".
1993 : Started shooting feature films. Directed the first feature film "Weekend Lover". - Rainer Werner Fassbinder Prize winner for Best Director 45th Mannheim-Heidelberg International Film Festival of Germany, 1996.
1997 : Produced a 5-episode TV-film collection “Super City” as Independent Producer, made by five Chinese new directors and photographed by their own Directors of Photography and Art Directors.
2000 : "Suzhou River", writer and director credits. - VPRO Tiger Award winner at the 29th International Film Festival Rotterdam 2000
- Grand Prix and Best actress in the 15th International Film Festival in Paris
- Winner of the FIPRESCI prize at Viennale
- Grand Prix winner at Filmmax Festival in Tokyo 2001
- Selected by Time Magazine (Asia) as one of the best movies 2000.
- PPP script award winner, Pusan International Film Festival 2000.
2001 : Directed DV short film "In Shanghai", (for the DV-Project "On Waterfront", International Film Festival Rotterdam 2001).
2003 : "Purple Butterfly", writer and director credits.
- In Competition, Cannes 2003.
2006 : "Summer Palace", writer and director credits.
- In Competition, Cannes 2006.
Films presented at Cannes
CHUN FENG CHEN ZUI DE YE WAN
Award for Best Screenplay